Monday 8 June 2015

Bloggers on the Blog....The Book Addicted Housewife




Bloggers on the blog


My latest feature showcases some of the best of the book blogging community. 

These are the unsung heroes who are constantly on the look out for new and exciting books 

and who give so generously of their time ,energy and expertise.




I am delighted to welcome



Lisa 


from the excellent blog


The Book Addicted Housewife






What makes you want to blog about books?

A lot of people blog about books and I think that my opinion is a valid as anyone else’s, so why not.  It’s a way of making a book I have loved last a bit longer, sharing it with other book lovers, maybe having a discussion, whereas if I didn’t blog I wouldn’t be able to ramble on about a book as I do, it would end and that would be that.  This way I can look back at my thoughts on a particular book so it’s also a bit of a journal for me.  I also love being involved with various authors through social media and they are all so grateful for reviews and recommendations that it makes it a double pleasure to write about their work. And it’s writing!  I always loved to write – letters, essays, stories and that has really fallen by the wayside with social media so it combines my love of reading with my love of writing.


What type of book makes you happy?

Most.  I’m not often disappointed by a book.  Sometimes it depends on my mood so I might like something light and romantic with a happy ending, sometimes a really good thriller with lots of twists and guesswork leaves me happy because it has really gripped me.  Sometimes I read something a bit darker that can make me feel sad but in a good way – like The Blind Assassin – I cried buckets but felt quite morbidly pleased afterwards!


Which book have you recommended the most?

I really don’t know but if someone were to ask me now for something original I would recommend Michelle Lovric’s The Book of Human Skin in a heartbeat.  It’s amazing.  It has history, intrigue, love; it’s dark, it’s witty, it’s captivating.  I haven’t read anything like it.



Which is the best book you received as a gift?

I have had many books as gifts but the three that stick in my mind the most were gifts from a family friend who I called Auntie; she bought me my first classic, Jane Eyre after I sat on Sunday afternoons watching the dramatization with her, I was about 8 then.  It was a really good copy.  Later she bought me Rebecca and The Scarlet Pimpernel, also really good copies because she knew I would look after them, read them and love them.  She always encouraged my reading and I still have those books and think of her when I look at them.



Which book has sent a shiver down your spine?

Michelle Paver’s Dark Matter genuinely made me shudder.  It is easily the eeriest, most atmospheric, playing-with-your-head book I have ever read.  As ‘ghost’ stories go it’s one of the best and possibly the most scariest thing is that the writing makes you imagine so much, she doesn’t even have to write anything scary, it’s all in your own head as you read.



How many books do you have, as yet unread, on your book shelves?

I'm guessing around 400 which is nothing compared to some people I know!


Tell me about a book you’ve read more than three times?

When I was 9 0r 10 I was infatuated with a book called Little O by Edith Unnerstad and every couple of months I would get it out of the school library and re-read it.  I loved it.  Little O was set in Sweden and she was the youngest child in a large family, her sisters were named after characters from Shakespeare - Desdemona and Miranda and she was Ophelia.  Little O was always getting into scrapes and adventures, it appealed because of the unknown (ie Sweden) and because of the large, happy family.  I'd love to read it again!


What’s your idea of book heaven or book hell?

I’m tempted to say book hell would be anywhere where books had been tossed on the floor and basically ill-treated.  I would have to pick them up and make them all good.  Even when I go in a shop where books have been rammed onto shelves and their covers are bent, I have to tidy them and straighten them up.  However that’s also a bit of book heaven because there’d be lots of books to look after and look at!  Real book hell would be to walk into a shop that only sold books by Jeffrey Archer and Zadie Jones!  Real book heaven would be to be able to have enough room to have every book I have ever read and loved on display.

Where is your favourite reading place?

I have my place where I always sit and anyone in the family who sits there knows to shift as soon as I make an entrance!  It’s the left hand corner of the sofa, next to the sofa table where I have everything essential to book reading – lamp, notebook for recording the books I have read, the book I am currently reading, my Kindle and quite possibly other books too.  I sit curled up in my corner with cushions piled around me and a drink to hand.



What has been your favourite book of the year...so far ?

 I seem to have read an awful lot of crime /psychological thriller books this year, so far, which have all been excellent but I recently read The Ice Twins by L.K Tremayne and found it fascinating and very cleverly done.  It certainly kept me guessing and a little freaked out.






Huge thanks to Lisa for giving so generously of her time.

Jaffa and I love visiting your blog

Long may it continue.





~***~



A huge thanks to all the bloggers who have taken part in this feature over the last couple of months.

It's been such fun getting to know everyone.

A huge thanks to all the bloggers who have taken part in my recent Blogger on the Blog feature.

 It's been great fun getting to know everyone,


Liz - Liz Loves Books
Gill - The Book Magpie
Vicki - Off The Shelf Book Reviews
Susan - Mac Adventures (with Books)
Lisa W - Book Shelf Fantasies
Anne C - Random Things Through my Letterbox
Karen - My Reading Corner
Lindsay - My Little Library
Anne W - Being Anne
Peggy Ann - Peggy Ann's Post
Kate - Books with Bunny
Lisa R - Lisa Loves Books
Lainy - SO Many Books So Little Time
Janet - Beadyjan's Books
Leah - Reflections of a Reader
Lisa W - The Book Addicted Housewife.


~***~


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - Jaffareadstoo appreciates your interest.